Part 753h – Brunhammer Doherty Genealogy – 1900 Twelfth US Census – Holmes Family – Lansford, Carbon County, Pennsylvania

18 August 2012

Good Day,

Still haven’t had the guts (no pun intended) to crack open a can of Scottish Haggis… but the idea of McHaggis, Scottish Macaroni and Cheese, Haggis Omelet, Pâté au haggis, and Scottish Tacos all seem “somewhat” interesting. And so this morning I settled for a breakfast of smoked herring, fried eggs, fried green tomatoes, and onions, followed by a homemade “Starbucks-like” coffee… I can just imagine the somersaults my blood sugars are fending for their Olympic challenge.

Well enough of my repast. Back to my Holmes Family genealogy search and research.

In the pursuit of recreating the configuration of the Holmes Family Tree I have gathered and discussed the 1850 and the 1880 US Censuses from Tamaqua and Rahn in Schuylkill County. Also I have deliberated on the 1891 Schuylkill County Directory based on the 1890 US Federal Census. Today I am now highlighting the John and Hannah Holmes Family in the 1900 US Census.

It appears that at some time between 1890 and prior to the 12th or 13th of June, 1900 the Holmes Family relocated to Abbott Street in Lansford in Carbon County.

Here is the image, courtesy of The National Archives and downloaded from Ancestry.com, of the page from the Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900.


There is at least one error in the reporting in this page of the Census at Line #7 which reports great-grandmother Hannah Holmes. Column 11 – “Mother of how many children” reports that great-grandmother Hannah had “12” children. This is a correct number count. In the next Column, number 12 – “Number of these children living” lists the total at “9”. As of 12 June 1900, this US Census reporting is not correct. The number should be “10”. Great-grandparents John and Hannah had lost twin sons, Oliver and Oscar, at birth. The enumerator, who took the Census information, must have incorrectly asked the question, “Number of these children living?”, and inadvertently added “Number of these children living… at this house?” At the date of the Census nine Holmes children were living at the Abbott Street address.

Great-grandparents John and Hannah’s eldest daughter, grandaunt Rebecca Marian had married Robert Mitchell on 11 November 1896. She was living with her fireman husband and their children John E. and Allie in Rahn. The 1900 US Census “Number of these children living” number, with respect to great-grandmother Hannah, should have read “10”.

As heretofore mentioned I am using the Clooz 3.0 reporting to substitute for my transcription work. Here is my United States Federal Census Population Schedule, 1900 CUSPA000008 report highlighting the Holmes Family.


Any questions, thoughts, ideas, comments, and family history are definitely welcomed.

Enjoy,

Jim

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Great Grandmother Myra Holmes was born in 1872. She immigrated to America with Her father(not sure of his first name Holmes) via ship, between 1872 and 1900. I have no money to subscribe to search organizations and remember many years ago seeing a passenger list with Myra and her father on it. But I an having trouble finding lists online. I dont remember the name of the ship. I think it went to Ellis Island but not sure. I go to Ellis Island website and they want money before giving you access to any information or search. If anyone can guide me to where I can find information on Myra, please let me know. She was born in 1872 and died in Kansas City, Kansas in 1919. She was married to George M. Salmon and had 13-14 children, one of which was my grandfather who raised me. From what I understand she was Scottish and I believe thats what the ships manifest showed also. That she and her father were Scottish. She passed away 1919 in Kansas City, Kansas. She and her father may have lived in Pennsylvania at some point after their immigration. Thank You. I wish I had the money to subscribe to Ancestry.com, etc., to find out these things but I dont. Info used to be free onlinr

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template